News / clean eating
Today is July 14th. Fourteen whole days and counting without a grain of refined sugar, a drop of alcohol, or a desperate trip to the fish and chip shop, thanks to the urging of my sister in law Sarah (btw, if you're ever in need of any fitspo, her last video is of her doing chin-ups with 12kgs tied around her waist. The things she can do with her body are fucking a-ma-zing).
Now, I'm not the most obvious candidate for Junk Free July; I have been known to eat an entire packet of TimTams single handedly after dinner, I will eat gummy worms whilst hiding in the pantry, I've started fist fights over who gets the last four squares of black forest chocolate (wait, I think that actually MAKES me the most obvious candidate? . . . hmm.) I steal the marshmallow from the boys' fluffies, calling it Mum Tax, AND THEY LET ME because they know not to try and get between me and the marshmallow.
I make close to 100% of our meals from scratch and I'm not a big drinker, but sugar is deeeefinitely a problem for me. Had a shitty day? Here, have some chocolate. Accomplished heaps of tasks today? Congratulations! Have some cake! You know the story. Feelings have been eaten for a number of years now and although I look alright from the outside, I'm not sure what things are running like on the inside.
Come with me now to a world without sugar - I know, it sounds like not much fun, right? But it is! I'm dead square in the last ten days of sampling for next winter now, and I've not felt the pull of a nanna nap all this time. A single bliss ball with coffee at 10.30 is the absolute best thing I've ever tasted - generally I'd be eating four or five "because they're good for you", but now I'm considering the glucose/fructose values of the dates inside them and deciding that one will definitely satisfy. And this, in 14 days! From the girl who has had dessert while out with friends and then asked to see the dessert menu a second time!
1.The world will not end if I go to bed slightly hungry.
2. If I'm not keeping my brain running on a constant diet of junky snacks, I can actually work whilst hungry (previously unheard of).
3. Yes, unrefined ingredients cost more, but you eat less of them and so they last longer.
4. It is possible to go to a restaurant with your husband and friend and watch them both eat cheesecake.
5. It *might* be possible after this month that I can regulate myself instead of trying to eat all the candy before someone else gets to the candy because then I would get less candy and I need that candy more than you do so GIVE IT.
6. Crunchy roasted broad beans with sea salt and balsamic vinegar will cure what ails ya.
If I can do it, beeeeelieeeeeeve me, anyone can. Thank you Sarah!!